Tuesday, July 5, 2011

lemon muffin recipe

Okay so my In-laws are coming on Saturday and I wanted to make sure there were a few 'comforts from home' around for them to snack on while they are here. I have made peanut butter cookies and choc chip cookie dough and froze them so I can just put a batch in the oven when we want them. You don't want to spend any more time than you have to with your oven on b/c when it is 100+ degrees outside with no air-conditioning that makes the kitchen about 110+ and humidity. Anyway, I also wanted to make a variety of mini muffins for quick on the go breakfast while they are here so we can make sure to get all the sites in and not have a lot of kitchen clean up :)

I made the lemon muffins using little key limes (because they are so cheap here) Lets just say the batch I made to freeze is all gone and I'll have to make another before the In-laws arrive. They are so light and refreshing.

Now if you are like me and don't follow recipes very well I would suggest you not do that for this one. In order for them to be light and fluffy you have to follow exactly. It is well worth it I promise. My only suggestion is to double the recipe. This made 24 mini muffins. Preston gave it 2 thumbs up!

Lemon Tea Mini Muffins
2 eggs, separated
1/2 C butter, softened
1/2 C sugar
1 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3 T lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon peel
Topping:
1 tsp suar
1/8 tsp cinnamon
Dash ground nutmeg

In small bowl, beat egg yolks until lemon-colored (apprx 5 min). In large mixing bowl, cream butter and suar until light and fluffy.  Fold in yolks.  Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with lemon juice and peel, stirring just until combined.
In another bowl, with clean beaters, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.  Fold into batter.  Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 2/3s full.  Combine the topping ingred.; sprinkle over the batter.  Bake 20-25 min. I baked at 350 Cool for 5min. before removing from pan.

1 comment:

  1. Great! Now I'm hungry. These sound so good. I'm gonna have to try them!

    ReplyDelete