Sunday, April 1, 2012

Lent tradition leading to Easter

Many of you have seen the elaborate Advent tradition in which I have made 25 ornaments out of clay and other things which hang from a live branch. It is a season of expectation. Lent is different in that it is a time of reflection, more somber. I made this tree out of cardboard and painted it brown. I put it up on a wall in our living room. I then followed patterns that I had and made these ornaments out of construction paper. Each one represents a story from the life of Christ. Preston can point out any ornament on the tree and tell you the story. You can see from the picture below that there is a palm branch which was the first of our holy week ornaments. It was the ornament for Palm Sunday. 
 This visual of the stories I feel gives Easter a more prominent place in our house. It keeps us on track as a family to have quality devotion time.  Plus we have been able to share some of the stories with guests we invite to our house.

Also for Lent, we have been meeting with other adults on Wed. night and going through a book. We will be celebrating Easter together as a small knit group. 


It has been a reflective season of fasting and prayer. We are anxiously anticipating Sunday when we can rejoice in the fact that "He is Risen"

If any of you are interested in the patters for the ornaments email me and I'll send them your way. I think the original creator did these in felt, but construction paper was perfect for us. 



3 comments:

  1. Hi Jamie, I love it how you give this Lent season such a prominent place in your family. Little bit jealous too (in a good way); where do you find the time? I would be interested in the patterns, hopefully for next year. I might feel more organized then than I feel now. Have a joyful Easter! Tanja

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie - I would be most interested in your patterns. This looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be interested in the patterns please. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete